Saturday, May 31, 2008

Weight Loss Diets - How To Deal With Dieting Cravings

When I put myself on my free weight loss program, I knew my stumbling block would not be eating a healthy diet and would not be about doing keep fit exercises to get slim and trim. Those things would not worry me at all. My nemesis, when it comes to slimming and staying slim, is chocolate. I love it!

Before I began this weight loss diet, I used to eat a bar of chocolate every day. Only ever one, but it was part of my routine. I used to eat it around tea time every day - long after lunch and long before dinner time - and it always tasted good, because I was hungry enough to enjoy every mouthfull.

And that has been the hardest thing about slimming this time around - cutting out that high calorie chocolate bar.

I know that any sensible eating plan will tell you that eating something which is high calorie and high in 'useless carbohydrates' can do all sorts of bad things to your blood sugar levels and that this cannot help you in your attempts to lose weight and keep slim.

But I am also of the opinion, that even when you are on a weight loss program, a little bit of what you fancy does you good.

You see, I know my limitations when it comes to dieting. I know that if I feel really deprived while slimming, I will get a craving for something high calorie that I really miss. I will look for things to 'compensate' for the unhealthy snack I am craving. So, I will 'forget' about the calorie limits I have impossed on myself in order to lose the excess fat, and I will first of all raid the fridge for some low calorie snacks, then I will move on to higher calorie snacks (but still food I see as 'slimming food'), all the time eating extra calories I could certainly do without in order to keep to my dieting plan.

And at the end of all that, I know I am going to succumb and eat that high calorie, unhealthy snack I am craving in any case!

And then I will feel guilty and fat, not because I am (as I still will not have eaten enough to have done any lasting damage to my weight loss plan), but because, in my attempts to avoid the one thing I was craving, I have eaten a lot of things I didn't really want!

So, how do I keep to my weight loss program and cope with this craving?

I eat a choc ice instead of a chocolate bar.

A small choc ice is less than half the calories of the chocolate bar. It tastes good and satisfys the 'dieting craving' and I can easily fit it into my slimming plans and still leave room for the essential 'good for me' calories I need. So I can still lose weight.

What I would say here is that this works for me, as part of my free weight loss program. It may not work for everyone, as we are not all the same when it comes to trying to slim down and get rid of our excess fat.

But if you think something similar would work for you when you are dieting, why not give it a try? If you have a craving for a particular food item which you cannot fit into your weight loss plan, then why not look for an alternative which is lower in calories, but is nice enough to satisfy that need?

Of course, this suggestin is nothing earth shattering. there is no real 'secret' in this about dieting and weight loss; just a bit of common sense.

On that note, I must end this post, as it is quite long enough already! And I have yet to tell you about the exercises I am using to get rid of my flabby belly fat. I'll post those in the next few days.

And I'll see you again soon on my free weight loss program!

No comments: